Language courses, summer schools, Erasmus+. Choose the right experience for you!

Are you interested in getting a formation experience abroad? Would you like to learn a new language or do post-graduate work? Here are some information you can find useful.

If you are seriously considering to attend a language course abroad, we advise you to choose institutes which are member of school associations or institutes of formation. This kind of institutes guarantees basic standards thanks to regular evaluation processes on their programmes and on the language outcomes. Some schools, connected to colleges or universities, can also offer more services (such as social or sports activities...) and assistance.

If you are looking for an alternative to a language course, you can consider the summer o winter school option, which are courses organized every year by universities all over the world. Classes are formed by international groups of young men and women and allow participants to study a specific subject or improve your knowledge of the language and culture of the country where they are. The experience lasts from 1 to 8 weeks and takes place during summer vacation or during wintertime. At the end of the course, students receive a participation certificate and, if recognized by the Ects, university formative credits which will be valid for their university of origin.

If you already know the language and are a high school student, you may be interested in a study period abroad. This program is meant for students between 15-18 years old, but the age range varies from country to country, therefore you should contact the agencies that organize these study periods to receive precise and detailed information. The formation period goes from a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of one year.

Here are some Italian institutions and agencies, active in Emilia-Romagna, which organize study periods abroad:

To support your formation abroad, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and international cooperation offers opportunities and scholarships. To get more information, click here.

From January 2014 you can find all the educational and mobility paths of the European Union as part of the Erasmus+ program which involves a series of services for those who want to move to another country in Europe to study, to take a training or do other experiences (work, volunteering).  To get more information see our section here. a

If you attend university, you know that you have the possibility to do part of your courses abroad, by joining international exchange programs or to receive funding for internships, training or research for your dissertation.

University students whose degrees can lead to a diplomatic career can access the MAE CRUI funds that allow them to do three-month apprenticeships abroad at embassies and permanent offices of international organizations.

If you are interested, contact the Ufficio Relazioni Internazionali (International Relation Office) of your university. We also advise you to visit the website first to look at the projects each University offers.

To get benefits and contributions, go to the webpage of the Azienda Regionale per il Diritto agli studi superiori - ER.Go (Regional Agency for the Right to higher education).

Would you like to study in a non-EU country? This is not only possible but also highly enriching. Clearly you need a visa to take classes, for America, Australia or Cina. The necessary timeframe and procedures to obtain the visa can vary based on the country you want to go to.
You can find all the necessary information on this site.

And now, we can only wish you… a safe journey!



If you earned academic degrees in Italy, they will be recognized also in the Country where you want to continue your studies but the procedures can vary greatly from country to country.

In countries which have signed a bilateral agreement with Italy about the recognition of academic degrees, you will obtain the full equivalency of your degree; in other cases it will be necessary to apply to the competent office of the country to get your academic degree recognized.

If you need more information, go to the website Centro di Informazione sulla Mobilità e le Equivalenze Accademiche (Information Center for the Mobility and Academic s Equivalencies). In order to get information on the recognition of qualifications abroad, you can contact the Student Office (Admission Office) and the international student offices of foreign universities.

Europass, a set of five documents created to make one’s skills and qualifications clearly and easily understood in Europe, was created in order to standardize the validation of the competences and qualifications within the European Union.

To get more information:

Centro Nazionale Europass Italia
Euroguidance Italy



If you are a citizen of the European Union, remember that you have the right to look for a job and stay in any of the member states.

For the first three months you will need only a valid identity card or a passport. Afterwords you will be able to remain in that State only with a work contract.

We give you a series of information to help you take the first steps and make the best choices.

The Emilia-Romagna Region Legislative Assembly, together with the municipality of Forlì, the University of Bologna, and the social cooperative UNISER, set up Mobilitas, to help young generations in their work and formative experiences. The Europe Direct Emilia Romagna offers a service of orientation and support for transnational mobility for study and work. A project that might interest you is Your first EURES job (YfEj). It is a European programme of professional mobility that aims at helping citizens of one of the 28 EU States and EFTA/SEE States (Norway and Island) between the age of 18 and 35 to find an occupation (job, training or apprenticeship) in a UE or EFTA/SEE State other than the one of residence. The program,e supports employers as well, particularly small and medium size enterprises (PMI) find the employees they need. Mobility grants are available!

If you are specifically interested in making a work experience abroad with the European Institutions,we advise you to visit the Eucareers site. You will find all the information, job opportunities, and the application process.

Eures, the European professional mobility portal e,is another tool you could find very useful. It is a cooperation network connecting the European Commission with the employment public offices of the States belonging to the European Economic Area meant to help people look for a job and help companies search for qualified personnel.

A tip: keep an eye on the guides and brochures that the European Unionfrequently publishes to help candidates in their job search. See here the publications in question.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for a short training or internship, the first programme we want to mention to you is Young Professionals (Y.P.P.), created for young people by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation. It offers you many opportunities funded by International Organizations, such as the Wolrd Bank, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, the International Monetary fund, and others.

For more information, visit the dedicated page.

If you are writing your dissertation or have just graduated and know English and/or French, you can take a training lasting few months with some of the major international organizations, such as the United Nations System (ONU, UNDP, UNESCO, UNICEF..), International Financial Institutions (FMIBANCA MONDIALE) or others (CONSIGLIO D’EUROPA,  ESACERNNATO..). To learn more about them, visit the  dedicated page on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A tip for you: keep an eye on this page in order not to miss services, opportunities, and proposals.

For those who are about to finish or have just finished their studies, there is also the Erasmus Plus Programme, which contains all the pre-exhisting educational and mobility paths of the European Union. To learn more about it, visit the dedicated page.

Every year the Legislative Assembly offers three new outstanding graduates from the universities of the Region (or any other university, if the graduates are resident in the Region) the possibility to receive a € 10.000 award for a training period abroad with organizations linked to the KIP International School. All the information of the Assembly a site. 

There are also excellent news for the employees of micro, small, and medium enterprises!

In 2016 the experimental project MobiliseSME (Mobilities for professionals and qualified employees of MSMEs) was created. This project, wihin the Programme PROGRESS 2016- 2017, intends to support the exchanges of personnel among companies (PMI) in all the EU member States and designated third countries. The project aims at creating the premises for a mobility plan for PMI (small and medium enterprises) employees similar to the Erasmus Programme for university students. Here are some characteristics of the exchange:

  • Set up any type of business
  • Assistance to companies searching for a suitable partner through a service of business matching
  • the participation of the hosting company is costless
  • the company of origin will keep paying stipends and others benefits
  • funds for travel and sojourn expenses during the exchange period.
  • project length from one to six months.

Finally, have you ever heard of the Au Pair experience
The au pair programme combines cultural exchange and work. In exchange for boarding and loadging, you will have to do housechores and take care of the children of the hosting family. It is an excellent opportunity to learn/improve your knowledge both of the language and the culture of the selected country. In order to certify the linguistic competence reached, you can request a certificate or simply fill out a self-certification. 

Be carefull, the au pair programme involves a series of duties and rights!

Here are some of your main rights: a single room in the house, boarding, a free day a week, a modest compensation, a part-time schedule (which should not exceed 8 hours a day), the possibility to legally refuse jobs considered to be too heavy.
Here are your duties: respect working hours and the family rules, responsible commitments to children, helping with household chores.

To participate you can contact a private agency anywhere in Italy or you can go on the Internet, without the help of a mediator. Here are some of the best-known sites:



A specific European legislation regulates the complex system of professional qualification recognition in the European Union, giving certain Authorities the competence to do so in each member State. In each State there is a contact point where you can get information about professional validation: offices or departments of the competent Ministries (Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Industry, Ministry of Education, or others) which inform citizens about the European and national legislation and principles which regulate the free movement of workers in the EU.

The Italian national contact office at the Department of European Policies. The CIMEA - Centro d'Informazione sulla Mobilità e le Equivalenze Accademiche (Information Center for the Mobility and Academic Equivalencies) is the national site of the NARIC international network for the academic and professional degree validation.

We are not going to address here the specifics of the validation procedures in extra-EU countries since rules and practices vary from country to country, and there are no international rules or coordinated procedures that can facilitate the professional validation. You can get more information at the embassy or consulate of the foreign country’s embassy or consulate in Italy.

You need a visa not only to study but also to work outside Europe. The timeframe and procedures to obtain it vary according to the host country.
You can find all the information necessary in this site



In a global market, being able to promote one’s enterprise abroad is more and more necessary as much as stimulating and challenging. You can present your ideas to an ever growing and heterogeneous market, you can overcome borders, and tackle new realities.

It is not easy to do this on one’s own, we are aware of that.

For this reason, the Emilia-Romagna Region, through the Sportello per l'internazionalizzazione delle imprese (Office for enterprise internationalization), set up a series of measures to support your projects, among which:

  1. contributions for the internationalization of the PMI, of the artisanship, and of the regional research and innovation system
  2. initiatives and missions to promote enterprises in foreign markets

In order not to miss the latest updates, visit the Emilia-Romagna Region site dedicated to businesses  Internazionalization section.

Moreover ASTER, the Emilia-Romagna agency which focuses on innovation and technological transfer of entreprises, universities, and the territory, through the SIMPLER consortium (Servizi per l'innovazione e la competitività delle imprese in Lombardia e in Emilia Romagna, Services for the innovation and competition of the enterprises in Lombardy and Emilia Romagna), is part of the Enterprice Europe Network, the greatest network of services supporting the Small and Medium Enterprises.

They will help you grow, improve your competitiveness, develop your innovation potential and face an international dimention. See all the services offered on the website i.

At a national level, the Government has established the ICE-Agenzia per la promozione all'estero e l'internazionalizzazione delle imprese italiane (Agency for the promotion abroad and the internationalization of Italian entreprises), an institution aiming at facilitating, developing, and promoting the economic and trade relationtiships between Italy and foreign countries, with particular attention to the needs of small and medium enterprises. The Agency focuses on assistance, promotion, formation of the enterprises and young graduates, encourages the cooperation in different sectors: industrial, food and agricultural, distribution, service sector.

If you don’t have a business yet and would like to start one or if you have recentely started one and it is now the moment to open up to new markets, the Erasmus programme for young entrepreneurs i can certainly prove very useful to you. It offers you the opportunity to learn from established professionals who manage small or medium businesses in another country participating in the program.

The exchange of competences takes place in a working experience with the company of the established entrepreneur who, on the one hand, will help you acquire all the necessary information to run a small company and, on the other hand, will have the opportunity to consider his/her own activity under new perspectives, will collaborate with partners from other countries, and will receive information on new markets. To learn more, see also the section dedicated to Erasmus+ on our portal. 



From January 2014 all the preexhisting educational and mobility paths of the European Union have been grouped into one programme: Erasmus Plus.

The programme addresses a large group of people offering formation, work, training, volunteering experiences. It does not fund individual participants but works through organizations, institutes, authorities, universities, schools, and groups which can submit project proposals and thus apply for funding.

There are three key activities relating to the different sectors:

  • Key Action 1: Individual mobility with learning goals
  • Key Action 2: Co-operation for innovation and exchange of good practices
  • Key Action3: Support policy reforms

Put it this way, it might seem difficult to choose.

Let’s try something different: do you teach at the University? Are you between 13 and 30, and you are neither in school or at university? Do you work in the field of youth policy or with youth organization? On the ErasmusPlus website there is a wide choice of profiles, find the one which represents you, and choose the best opportunity for you.





You don’t know what to choose? Want more information? Turn to the following offices.

If you need useful advice or further information to make the right choice and complete the necessary procedures, ask one of these offices promoted by the European Union and the European Council.

Eurodesk is the official network of the Erasmus+ programme to give information on the paths and initiatives promoted by European institutions for young generations. It is present in 34 European countries with national coordinating structures and have over 1300 decentralized information points open on the entire territory.

Find the Eurodesk point closest to you on the map a.

Europe Direct is an information network that, with 48 centers in Italy and above 500 in the European Union, can help you with the orientation, clarifications of policies, programmes, and finacement of the European Union and supports you with the necessary administrative process. Europe Direct collaborates with schools and universities to provide formation and organize workshops on European issues and citizenship rights.

On the Europe Direct Emilia-Romagna website you can find documents and European researches, useful numbers, research material, invitations to local and international events, information about the participation to award and competitions, and much else.

Keep an eye on it!
Find the center closest to you on the map. e

Finally, we advise you to add to your favourites an Internet website which you will certainly find very useful: the European youth portal (portale europeo per i giovani). It offers a good overview of the many opportunities for young men and women like you who live, study or work in Europe.

The available information is divided into thematic areas: volunteering, work, learning, culture and creativity, health, social inclusion, global thinking and travel.

There is also a section that allows you to express your opinion on topics of major interest.


We are world citizens and we take care of the world. Here is what you can do.

Can you give some of your time to do something useful outside of Italy? It is an experience that will make you grow professional but mostly personally.

The European Voluntary Service (EVS) offers you the possibility to do it, helping the daily work of the organizations hosting you in foreign countries, participating in projects concerning different areas (culture, environment, social work, civil protection, development cooperation, and many others).

To join the EVS you don’t need qualifications, specific experiences or linguistic comptences. However, you need legal residence in a country participating in the programme or in a partner country and must be between 17 and 30 years old.

Visit the dabatase for the Servizio Volontario Europeo (European Voluntary Service) to find the Italian institutions which you should contact to join the programme and also to know more about the different projects.

You will be partially reimboursed for your travel, boarding, loadging, and local transportation; you wll also receive a modest monthly compensation (pocket money) which varies on the basis of the country you are moving to.

The Servizio Volontario Europeo is a mobility project of the European program Erasmus Plus.

If you are looking for an experience of volunteering in organic farms or would like to participate in other projects linked to a sustainable stylestyle, you should take a look at the world organization Wwoof (World wide opportunities on organic farms).

This is how it works: on the one hand we have the “host”, that is to say hospitng farms and agricultural enteprises which provide boarding, loading, and educational paths focused on respect for the environment, biodiversity, suinable economy; on the other hand we have the woofers, vulunteers cho offer their help for free.

By joining the WWOOF network, you will access an address list of farms, eco-villages, projects and communities belonging to this network. Send an email to the WWOOF organization of the State where you want to move to (f.i., if you want to be a “wwofer” in Australia, you have to contact and enroll with? the WWOOF Australia, regardless of your nationality). For more information, visit this website. i

It is possible to do a volunteering experience with many Non Profit Organizations as well. Take a look at list of those recognized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find the one closest to your own interests.


As you might already know, you can do a Civil Service also abroad. If you are between 18-28 yeard old, you can work with one of the organizations realing projects to support developing countries or humanitarian interventions, or post-conflict missions for peacekeeping operations. A great opportunity to get in contact with distant and foreign cultures and acquire precious instruments to interpret international reality. Participation might require special requirements, such as specific degrees or the knowledge of a given foreign language. Travel and vaccination expenses are reimboursed; there are also special allowances. The experience of the White Helmets, youth working for Civil Service missions abroad, are very popular in our Region. Their encounter with populations from the South of the world and conflict regions led to the creation of “Antenne di pace”, a website which collects diaries, reports, and protographs which portray the beauty of those places but also the injusticies with wchich milions of people live every day.


If you don’t have time but want to help anyway, you could try the Volunteering Camps. These are short-term experiences (usually from 10 days to 3 weeks long) during which you live and work together with a small group of volunteers from all over the world. These camps involve a variety of socially oriented activities focused on different themes (environmental protection, animation for children?, activities with the refugees, organization of cultural festivals, manual work, and more).

There are numerous institutions organizing this kind of activities. There are just some of the most prominent ones:

Otherwise, if you live in the European Union, you can participate in youth exchanges. These activities, which involve groups of young men and women (for a maximum of 60) from different member States, allow you to complete a work program which you will have planned and prepared before the actual exchange. This activity will take from a minimum of 5 to a maximum of 21 days, not including travel time.

You can participate if you are between 13 and 30 years old and are a citizen of one of the European Union member state where organizations responsible for these exchanges operate.

There will be adults to oversee your actual learning and the regular and safe carrying out of the activity. You will be partially reimbursed for travel, boarding, and loading expenses. This path, like the European Volunteer Service we talked about before, is part of the mobility projects of Erasmus Plus.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Co-operation organizes other youth exchanges. They involve young men and women between 18 and 35 years old andaim at promoting the intercultural dialogue and a culture of respect among young generations. If you want to learn more click here.


Are you between 14 and 30 years old? With this card you have Europe in your palm!

Have you got the European Youth Card? It is the personal crad issued by the CTS "Centro turistico studentesco e giovanile" (Student and Youth Tourist Center) to youn people between 14 and 30 years old.
CTS is a non-profit national association, recognized by the Ministry of the Interior, which is part of the EYCA – European youth card association, the network of 41 organizations, present in 38 European countries, which develop the Progetto Carta Giovani (Youth card project) on a national level.

You can use this card in all the countries where a Youth Card organization is present and gives you access to thousands of discounts and benefits all over Europe.

To learn how to apply for it, find the affiliated points and know the projects connected to it, visit the website.